[ncl-talk] Error when reading ICON data

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 6 09:29:47 MDT 2017

​Michael and Guido,

I believe the issue is that NCL doesn't currently handle unstructured data
in GRIB2 files. We already have a ticket open on this, NCL-2263, and I've
added your email to the comments, since you provided an excellent source of
data that we can download for testing.

Guido, I was able to do an ncl_filedump on the file as well, but I got a
fatal error, and also what looks like incomplete information. Are you
seeing something different?

fatal:NclGRIB2: Deleting reference to parameter; unable to decode grid
template 3.101

Variable: f
Type: file
filename: ICON_iko_model_level_elements_world_T_2017090512_111
path: ICON_iko_model_level_elements_world_T_2017090512_111.grib2
   file global attributes:
   dimensions:
      levels0 = 5
   variables:
      float levels0_l1 ( levels0 )
         long_name : unknown
         units : unknown

      float levels0_l0 ( levels0 )
         long_name : unknown
         units : unknown

I am also curious to know if CDO can convert this file to NetCDF...

--Mary
​