[ncl-talk] Error when reading ICON data

Guido Cioni guidocioni at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 07:35:21 MDT 2017

Hey Michael.
first of all THANK YOU. I'm working here at the MPI-MET in Hamburg but didn't know at all that the data were freely accessible now. That's amazing!!

Second, I think the problem relies in the NCL installation in your system. I just tried to read a data from the link that you provided into NCL (after testing a ncl_filedump command) and everything worked fine. I tried both on my local machine (Macbook) and on our supercomputer (Mistral).

I guess you are missing something of the grib api library... Are you able to convert the file into netcdf first via CDO?
Cheers

> On 1. Sep 2017, at 15:19, Michael Langguth <mlangguth at uni-bonn.de> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> since an amendment in Germany, the German Meteorological Service (DWD) provides free output data access of the global model ICON (see: https://opendata.dwd.de/weather/icon/global/grib/). The data is stored in grib2-files.
> Unfortunately, NCL seems not be able to handle these grib2-files.
> Every time, when I try to open the file using the addfile-function, NCL gives the following error message:
>
> fatal:NclGRIB2: Deleting reference to parameter; unable to decode grid template 3.101
>
> I'm using NCL-version 6.3.0 (on a Linux cluster with openSUSE 42.1), but I've already tested the latest version 6.4.0, too (without success).
> Is there any way to add the missing grid template and to fix the problem?
>
> Example data can be generated by downloading and unpacking an arbitrary file from:
> https://opendata.dwd.de/weather/icon/global/grib/t/
>
> Thanks for your effort and best regards,
> Michael Langguth

Guido Cioni
http://guidocioni.altervista <http://guidocioni.altervista/>.org