[ncl-talk] Error when reading ICON data

Michael Langguth mlangguth at uni-bonn.de
Fri Sep 1 07:19:16 MDT 2017

Dear all,

since an amendment in Germany, the German Meteorological
Service (DWD) provides free output data access of the
global model ICON (see:
https://opendata.dwd.de/weather/icon/global/grib/). The
data is stored in grib2-files.
Unfortunately, NCL seems not be able to handle these
grib2-files.
Every time, when I try to open the file using the
addfile-function, NCL gives the following error message:

fatal:NclGRIB2: Deleting reference to parameter; unable to
decode grid template 3.101

I'm using NCL-version 6.3.0 (on a Linux cluster with
openSUSE 42.1), but I've already tested the latest version
6.4.0, too (without success).
Is there any way to add the missing grid template and to
fix the problem?

Example data can be generated by downloading and unpacking
an arbitrary file from:
https://opendata.dwd.de/weather/icon/global/grib/t/

Thanks for your effort and best regards,
Michael Langguth