[ncl-talk] creating netcdf mask from shapefile

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 27 18:10:49 MDT 2017

Hi Amy,

In order to properly read shapefiles, we need the tresh_ease23.shx and
tresh_ease23.dbf files as well
​.​

Also, I didn't see the
​ ​
data_stats_2d_cmap.nc
​ ​
file attached to your email. Can you upload this file and the other
tresh_eas23.xxx files to ftp.cgd.ucar.edu?

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 4:58 PM, Amy Hendricks <ashendricks at alaska.edu>
wrote:

> Hello again NCL magicians,
>
> As per requested, I have uploaded the shapefile "tresh_ease23.shp" to the
incoming directory and attached the script. The script is basically example
#21 modified with my inputs. The script recognizes the shapefile and data,
but doesn't plot like the examples, or write the mask (the data are all
missing values). I'm looking to create a netcdf mask of just the Treshnikov
region 1 (East Bering). Please help!

> Thank you,
>
> Amy
>

> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Amy Hendricks <ashendricks at alaska.edu>
wrote:

>> Hello again NCL magicians,
>>
>> As per requested, I have uploaded the shapefile "tresh_ease23.shp" to
the incoming directory and attached the script and data file to be masked.
The script is basically example #21 modified with my inputs. The script
recognizes the shapefile and data, but doesn't plot like the examples, or
write the mask (the data are all missing values). I'm looking to create a
netcdf mask of just the Treshnikov region 1 (East Bering). Please help!

>> Thank you,
>>
>> Amy
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Amy Hendricks <ashendricks at alaska.edu>
wrote:

>>> Howdy NCL experts,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to create a netcdf mask from a shapefile, however, the shape
names are integers. All of the examples on the shapefiles examples page
show how to mask with string shape names -- how do I convert the integer
shape names to strings for creating a mask?