[ncl-talk] Issues with ESMF_regrid

Laura Fowler laura at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 24 17:14:58 MDT 2017

Hi Rick:

Thank you for looking into this. The newer mesh I am trying to regrid
has 6488066 cells while the mesh I regridded a couple of years ago had
more cells (6848514). So I did not think that it was the size of the
mesh that was the culprit.

Here is what I found:

1. Using the largest mesh (6848514 cells) and on yellowstone, I tested
the regrid script I used a couple of years ago using ncl/6.3.0 and
ncl/6.4.0. I did not have any issue. You can look at the source,
destination, and weight files in the directories
/glade2/scratch2/laura/ncl/yellowstone.ncl-6.3.0 and
/glade2/scratch2/laura/ncl/yellowstone.ncl-6.4.0. The ncl script is
regrid.to_CMORPHdata.ncl

2. Then, I tested the same script but on cheyenne and I got the same
SIGSEGV using ncl/6.4.0 or ncl/6.3.0. So it seems that it may have to
do with ncl on cheyenne only.

3. Unfortunately, I cannot use yellowstone to regrid my newest mesh
since it is uses the cdf5 format which I cannot read on yellowstone.

Hope that this helps to resolve this issue.
Laura