[ncl-talk] fatal:Variable (lbar_zone) is undefined

Ismail SEZEN sezenismail at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 11:56:31 MDT 2017

Dear Adam, thank you for your kind respond.

Let me clarify a thing. I already solved my all problems in one way or another, used NCL (thanks to all team members) and now I’m done with it. I’m not in a hurry for a rush. I’m using NCL only for 2 weeks and I tought that I found a bug and wanted to report it and give a hand to community. This is *ONLY* the reason why I’m here. (To help USA users, non-USA users, even to Dennis)

> On 9 Oct 2017, at 19:34, Adam Phillips <asphilli at ucar.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> Please note that on the NCL email list support page (http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/email_lists.shtml) it states:
> "The NCL/NCARG team monitors all mailing lists, and we generally try to answer questions within a few hours when posted during normal working hours (Mon-Fri 8am-5pm MT)."
> As your original email was posted on Saturday it is quite unlikely that it will be responded to until Monday. There are occasional exceptions to this, depending on the schedules of NCL support staff as well as volunteers who are willing to respond.

I've been working very hard (night and day) for the past week and I didn’t know what the day is weekend or weekday, I even didn’t know the what time was :). That’s why, please, don’t take personal the insistent second email. I’ve been in e-mail lists for years and I know how things work except sending bug report. Usually, there is a project tracking page and bugs are reported over there. That’s why I was not sure if this list is monitored by the team or not.

> To answer your query, I've copied stream_11.ncl from the examples website here:
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/stream.shtml#ex11
>
> and modified it to use the uvt.nc file available here:
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Data/
>
> and attached it and the resulting graphic here.
>
> Note that to turn off the individual labelbar you need to set lbLabelBarOn = False. To turn on a single labelbar for the panel plot you need to set gsnPanelLabelBar to True in your panel resource list. Finally, to orient the labelbar vertically you need to set lbOrientation = "vertical" in your panel resource list.

The instructions above are exactly what I did.

> See the following websites:
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/labelbar.shtml
> available from the main applications page here:
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/

I already surf the websites. Thanks.

> Also, note that the resource gsnOldLabelBar does not exist, and that lbLabelsOn will turn off the labelbar labels (when set in the panel resource list in the attached example).

This is not exaclty happening in my situation. But I got the error below. That’s why I dig the gsn_csm.ncl file through the error.

> Hopefully that all makes sense. If not, or if you have further questions, please only respond to the ncl-talk email list and not to me personally.
> Adam

Let me modify your example (thanks again). Please see the attached ncl file.
Also required nc file can be downloaded here https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqu0lr3jautr0u1/wrfout_d02_2015-09-06_00_00_00?dl=0
NC file is big, likely a wrf output file that you have will also work. Not sure.

Thanks.

ERROR:
 Copyright (C) 1995-2017 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 6.4.0
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
fatal:Variable (lbar_zone) is undefined
fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 12331 in file /Users/isezen/ncl_ncarg-6.4.0-MacOS_10.11_64bit_nodap_gnu540/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 12396 in file /Users/isezen/ncl_ncarg-6.4.0-MacOS_10.11_64bit_nodap_gnu540/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 58 in file stream_11_2.ncl