[ncl-talk] Contour fill transparency not working with RasterFill mode

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 3 12:55:44 MDT 2017

Hi Guido,

Thanks for providing your script and data offline.

The first thing to note is that cnMissingValFillColor will not be effective
in this case, because your data doesn't have any missing values.

The reason why you are not getting any transparency with raster fill is due
to a quirk with raster fill that I never knew about until Dave Brown helped
me look over your script today.

The simple fix is to replace this line:

 cmap_r(0,3)=0.0

with this line, which is setting the first color to black, but then making
it transparent:

 cmap_r(0,:)=0.0

Also, you can remove or comment this line, as it has no effect:

ResC at cnMissingValFillColor=0

Dave said he would look into why this quirk is necessary for raster fill
and maybe he'll post back here with an explanation.

Meanwhile, I'm going to update some of our examples to mention this so
hopefully the next user won't run into this.

Your ICON example is very nice by the way!  Would you be willing to let me
include it on our ICON examples page? If so, I may clean it up a little to
add some comments and to remove the "do" loop since this is only one file.
I won't redistribute the data file. You can email me offline about this if
desired.

--Mary