[ncl-talk] test if lat-lon point is within gridded model domain

Jared Lee jaredlee at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 20 18:17:39 MST 2017

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not optimistic that that will work for
my problem. I think finding the boundaries of an arbitrary WRF grid as a
spherical polygon would be a non-trivial task; I don't know how I would
even go about doing that.

Thinking about it, I can probably approximately solve this problem in a few
steps with a combination of wrf_user_ll_to_ij and then gc_latlon (by
calculating the distance between obs and "nearest grid points" along the
edge of the WRF domain and then applying a distance threshold). I'll try
that tomorrow. I think I've found a bug with wrf_user_ll_to_ij, though (it
gives me non-existent (i,j) values for (lon,lat) points outside the
domain), and I'll submit a separate ticket on that.

Jared

--
Jared A. Lee, Ph.D.

Member, AMS Planning Commission