[ncl-talk] test if lat-lon point is within gridded model domain

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 20 17:39:15 MST 2017

Jared,

See whether the function gc_inout will work in your case.  You would need
to get the boundaries of the WRF grid as a spherical polygon.  There may
already be published WRF polygons as shape files; I am not familiar with
that.  Then use the function gc_inout to determine inside or outside for
each obs location.

In essence you would be applying two mask tests to each obs point, because
you also say you want to select within a lat/lon box.  Use gc_inout to test
against the larger WRF grid, and use simple arithmetic comparisons for the
lat/lon box.

Caution, there is a little trap here.  Do not use gc_inout for testing
simple four-sided lat/lon bounding boxes.  You would probably get something
unexpected.  gc_inout uses spherical polygons on the earth's surface.  Such
polygons have curved edges on the simple lat/lon plane.

--Dave