[ncl-talk] Vertical Cross-section on a rectilinear grid with "degrees-north" units

Lara Quitián Hernández laraquitianhernandez at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 05:17:45 MST 2017

Good afternoon,

I'm trying to plot a vertical cross-section of a cyclone in order to
analyze its wind shear and, therefore, cyclone tilt.
[image: Imágenes integradas 1]
I've made a re-grid on a rectilinear mesh (e.g., ECMWF grid) of several WRF
simulations. Therefore, one of my outputs is defined as follows:

       File "SPD_regrid_d02_D19_416.nc"

File type: NetCDF-3/CDM
------------------------------

netcdf file:/Volumes/MyPassport/SPD_regrid_416.nc {
  dimensions:
    times = UNLIMITED;   // (0 currently)
    time = 7; (7 time-steps)
    lat = 141;
    lon = 201;
    ncl4 = 7;
    latitude = 141;
    ncl6 = 201;
  variables:
    float spd(time=7, lat=141, lon=201);
      :_FillValue = 9.96921E36f; // float

    int time(time=7);

    float lat(lat=141);
      :units = "degrees_north";
      :long_name = "latitude";
      :_FillValue = -9999.0f; // float

    float lon(lon=201);

    float latitude(latitude=141);
      :units = "degrees_north";
      :long_name = "latitude";
      :_FillValue = 9.96921E36f; // float

  // global attributes:
  :creation_date = "martes, 30 de mayo de 2017, 10:49:07 CEST";
  :Conventions = "None";
  :source_file = "original-file.nc";
  :title = "NCL Simple Approach to netCDF Creation";
}

--

I would like to know, which variable is the best for this purpose (omega,
u-wind, v-wind, equivalent potential temperature (eth), etc.) and which

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Lara

*Lara Quitián Hernández, PhD Student*
Departamento de Física de la Tierra, Astronomía y Astrofísica II
Facultad de Ciencias Físicas
Ciudad Universitaria, Plaza Ciencias, 1
28040 Madrid. Spain
Email: lquitian at ucm.es <mlunar at aemet.es>