[ncl-talk] temperature spiral plot

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Mon Jun 12 11:51:43 MDT 2017

Hi Sebastian,
At present NCL does not have a function that can create spiral graphics. I
have created a ticket for this (NCL-2623) that asks for this functionality
to be added, and included your feature requests. Unfortunately at best this
will not be added to NCL until later this summer.

Your idea to start with the radar_3 example coding to draw the radial lines
is a good one. Numerous calls to gsn_add_polyline would then need to be
added to draw the spirals. Interpolation between the months for changing
colors/widths is possible but adds complexity.

If you develop your own NCL function (complete or incomplete) please email
it to me and I will add it to NCL-2623 so that the NCL developer in charge
of implementing this new functionality could possibly use what you created.
Adam

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 6:44 AM, Milinski, Sebastian <
sebastian.milinski at mpimet.mpg.de> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I would like to produce a plot in a similar style as the well-known
> temperature or sea ice spiral plots (e.g. http://www.climate-lab-
> book.ac.uk/spirals/).
>
> The angle should represent the month (1-12) and the distance from the
> centre some value.
> The data points for consecutive months should be connected by a line.
>
> Has someone tried this in NCL already? What would the best approach be?
>
> I would also like to modify the line a bit:
> - interpolate between data points rather than drawing a straight line
> - add a colour shading to the line (e.g. representing the time axis
> 01/1850, 02/1850, 03/1850, …). The colour should change gradually rather
> than jump to a new colour at each data point.
> - modify the width of the line. This should also be interpolated between
> data points to achieve a nice visual effect.
>
> My best guess at the moment would be to use the radar3.ncl example from
> this page: https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/radar.shtml.
> I am confident that I could add data points and connect them with lines,
> but I am not sure whether the three modifications I am planning to do are
> possible when building my script on this example.
>
> I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.
>
> Best regards,
> Sebastian

Adam Phillips