[ncl-talk] temperature spiral plot

Milinski, Sebastian sebastian.milinski at mpimet.mpg.de
Mon Jun 12 06:44:29 MDT 2017

Dear All,

I would like to produce a plot in a similar style as the well-known temperature or sea ice spiral plots (e.g. http://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/spirals/).

The angle should represent the month (1-12) and the distance from the centre some value.
The data points for consecutive months should be connected by a line.

Has someone tried this in NCL already? What would the best approach be?

I would also like to modify the line a bit:
- interpolate between data points rather than drawing a straight line
- add a colour shading to the line (e.g. representing the time axis 01/1850, 02/1850, 03/1850, …). The colour should change gradually rather than jump to a new colour at each data point.
- modify the width of the line. This should also be interpolated between data points to achieve a nice visual effect.

My best guess at the moment would be to use the radar3.ncl example from this page: https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/radar.shtml.
I am confident that I could add data points and connect them with lines, but I am not sure whether the three modifications I am planning to do are possible when building my script on this example.

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Best regards,
Sebastian