[ncl-talk] questions about time-height contour plot

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Jul 31 15:07:55 MDT 2017

Dear Ying Song,

The gsn_csm_pres_hgt function assumes that you have a 1D array of levels
that represents the levels across each X value, so yes, in this case, you
would need to interpolate your various levels to the same 1D array.

I think the correct thing to do is create the nlev x ntimes array and
populate it yourself, and then use gsn_csm_contour to simply draw a filled
contour plot.  Of course, you won't get the "nice" pressure/height values
on the Y axis, but this isn't going to be possible anyway, if these are
different for every X value.

If you really want a pressure/height axis, then you will need to vertically
interpolate your pressure levels to a common set of pressure levels for
each set of daily values. If this is the route you want to go, then go to
our "interpolation functions" page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/interp.shtml

and search for words like "vertical" and "pressure" to see what routines
have to do with vertical or pressure interpolation.

--Mary