[ncl-talk] Problem with WRF/WPS/GFS New Data

Jared Lee jaredlee at ucar.edu
Fri Jul 21 11:25:13 MDT 2017

Hi Barry,

The wrf-news listserv announced a week ago the release of WPS v3.9.0.1 to
handle the changes resulting from upgrades to operational GFS. And here's
the page with more info on the WRF users website:

http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/wpsv3.9/known-prob-3.9.html

Does using WPS v3.9.0.1 solve your issue, or are you experiencing this
issue with WPS v3.9.0.1? [Note that I'm not a WRF support person.]

Jared

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 10:24 PM, Barry Lynn <barry.h.lynn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> The GFS was upgraded at 12 UTC on the 19th.
>
> When using the WRF/WPS with the new data, there is a problem with the snow
> cover mask along coastlines.  There are nonsensical values at the sea/land
> interface grids.  I hope that WRFHelp will provide an updated WPS to solve
> this problem.
>
> In the meantime, if snow cover is present in your forecasts, here is
> simple fix to modify the wrfinput file after running real.exe
>
> begin
>
>   filename="wrfinput_d01.nc"
>
>   a = addfile(filename,"r")
>
>   snowh= a->SNOWH