[ncl-talk] Pixel to Lat/Lon

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 13 15:21:14 MDT 2017

IMHO: The script is working correctly. However, there is a mismatch between
the
the user's VERY high resolution (0.15 degrees) 'target grid' and the
resolution of the swath data points.

re:

 nlat=1200
 nlon=2400

defines a grid with spacing 0.15 degrees. VERY high resolution

====

I have no idea what the rationale for the '400' used for GBIN and GKNTwas
based upon.

 GBIN  = new ( (/400,nlon/), float )
 GKNT = new ( (/400,nlon/), integer )

=====

The binning algorithm looks at each swath lat/lon location. It finds the
target grid box that 'surrounds'  the current swath lat/lon location.

If there are target grid boxes which do not surround the swath grid poins,
then they are returned as missing (_FillValue). Hence, the 'fractured' look
of the plot.