[ncl-talk] NetCDF output file from NCL not opening in GrADS

S Br sbr.climate at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 10:13:28 MDT 2017

Hi,
I have applied bandpass filter to my one dimentional NetCDF file. I have
written the output to a NetCDF file but this output file is not opening in
GrADS. I get the following error.

ga-> sdfopen tas_aave_Asia_bandpass30-100.nc
Scanning self-describing file:  tas_aave_Asia_bandpass30-100.nc
gadsdf: SDF file has no discernable X coordinate.
  To open this file with GrADS, use a descriptor file with an XDEF entry.
  Documentation is at http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/SDFdescriptorfile.html

Could you please suggest if I am doing somewhere wrong in my NCL script .
The input file is perfectly fine with GrADS.

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
begin

   fn  = "tas_aave_Asia.nc" ; define filename
   in  = addfile(fn,"r")                                 ; open netcdf file
    x  = in->tasmask(:,0,0)                                       ; get data

; ***********************************************
; create the filter weights and apply
; ***********************************************

  ihp     = 2                             ; band pass
  sigma   = 1.0                           ; Lanczos sigma

  nWgt    = 201                           ; loose 100 each end
  fca     = 1./100.                       ; start freq
  fcb     = 1./30.                        ; last  freq
  wgt     = filwgts_lanczos (nWgt, ihp, fca, fcb, sigma )
  xBPF    = wgt_runave ( x, wgt, 0 )      ; 30-100 days

   copy_VarMeta(x,xBPF)
   dNames= getvardims(xBPF)
   dSIZES=dimsizes(xBPF)
   print (dNames)
   print (dSIZES)

; ***********************************************
; create new date array for use on the plot
  filo = "tas_aave_Asia_bandpass30-100.nc"
  system ("/bin/rm "+filo) ; remove any pre-existing file
  fo = addfile(filo , "c") ; open output file
  tasmax=xBPF(:)
  fo->tasmax = tasmax ; write ud to a file
end

Thanks.
SB