[ncl-talk] NCL to replace CDO

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Mon Jul 3 10:38:33 MDT 2017

I noticed that wgrib said there was a GRIB2 record in one of the
files. Oddly, NCL did not seem to notice this and I just filed it away
as a mystery for now. Ordinarily NCL also fails when GRIB1 and GRIB2
records are mixed in a single file. So it seems that further
investigation is warranted.
 -dave

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 9:57 AM, Karin Meier-Fleischer
<meier-fleischer at dkrz.de> wrote:
> Hi Marston and Dave,
>
> I've tried to remap and convert your files with CDO version 1.8.2 but it
> fails for two of the three files. The file ICMGGECE3+199001 is a GRIB 1 file
> and the others seem to have GRIB 1 and GRIB 2 mixed records which can't be
> handled by CDO.
>
> I tried to convert the files to netCDF using the ECMWF grib-api/eccodes GRIB
> tools but those do not like reduced Gaussian grids.
>
> Sorry, can't help yet but maybe we'll find a way to do it with CDO. ;-)
>
> Bye,
> Karin
>
> Am 30.06.17 um 18:11 schrieb David Brown:
>
>> Ben,
>> I think Marston cannot use ncl_convert2nc because he wants to
>> interpolate to a lat/lon grid before saving the data to netcdf.
>>
>> Karin,
>> The files that Marston made available to me are still on
>> ftp.cgd.ucar.edu in the zip file ifs_grib_types.zip.
>>   -dave
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 4:29 AM, Benjamin Lamptey <bllamptey at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Marston,
>>> Maybe I am missing something. Why not use "ncl_convert2nc" command
>>> instead
>>> of an NCL script?
>>>
>>> Even if you have many files, you can use the command in a shell script.
>>>
>>> Sorry if I missed something earlier but the above command is easier to
>>> convert grib to netcdf.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Ben

>>> --
>>> Benjamin L. Lamptey, PhD (Physicist, Meteorologist, Geoscientist, HPC &
>>> Info
>>> Systems)
>>> Acting Director-General
>>> African Centre of Meteorological Applications for Development (ACMAD)
>>> 55, Avenue des Ministères, PL6
>>> BP 13184, 1er Arrondissement, Niamey Plateau, Niger,
>>> Tel.(+227) 20 73.49.92
>>> Fax: (+227) 20723627