[ncl-talk] Issue Making LabelBars "Transparent" (Blue Gradient Error)

Alan Rhoades alan.m.rhoades at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 15:01:52 MST 2017

[image: Inline image 1]

Hello,

I've been trying to set all of the label bars in my plot above, save for
the far right plot, to be "transparent" (aka fill everything as white or
the background color) to preserve an equal space that NCL allocates across
all plots.  If I don't preserve the label bar in a "transparent" way the
far right plot (UDEL) becomes an awkward size compared to the other 3 plots
to its left.

However, when I make the label bar "transparent" (see ERA-interim plot) it
still has a slight blue gradient associated with it.

Any ideas how to eliminate this gradient fill entirely?  I have included my
resource settings below.

I have the following general res@ settings...

;-------------------------------------------
; PLOT RESOURCES
;-------------------------------------------

  res                     = True         ; plot modifications desired
  res at gsnMaximize         = False         ; Maximize size of plot in frame
; res at gsnSpreadColors     = True         ; Use full colormap, but start

  res at cnFillOn            = True         ; Turn on contour fill
  res at cnFillMode          = "AreaFill"   ; Style of fill. You can also
;  res at cnFillMode          = "RasterFill"   ; Style of fill. You can also
                                         ; use "CellFill" and "RasterFill"
  res at cnLinesOn           = False        ; Turn off contour lines
  res at cnLineLabelsOn      = False        ; Turn off contour line labels
  res at cnLevelSelectionMode = "ExplicitLevels"

  res at lbLabelAutoStride   = True         ; Clean up labelbar labels.

; PANEL PLOT SPECIFIC RESOURCES
  res at gsnDraw               = False
  res at gsnFrame              = False            ; don't advance frame

  res at mpOutlineBoundarySets = "geophysicalandusstates"; turn on states
  res at cnMissingValFillColor = "white"            ; make missing values white
  res at mpLandFillColor = -1 ; transparent = -1

;MOVE TEXT STRINGS IN PLOTS AND SET FONT HEIGHTS
  Font = 0.020 ; best = 0.030
  Position = 0.010

  res at tmYLLabelFontHeightF = Font
  res at tmXBLabelFontHeightF = Font
  res at gsnLeftStringFontHeightF = Font
  res at gsnLeftStringOrthogonalPosF = Position       ; Move text up or down
from plot boundary
  res at gsnRightStringFontHeightF = Font
  res at gsnRightStringOrthogonalPosF = Position       ; Move text up or down
from plot boundary
  res at gsnCenterStringFontHeightF = Font
  res at gsnCenterStringOrthogonalPosF = Position       ; Move text up or down

; MODIFY LABELBAR THICKNESS
  res at pmLabelBarHeightF = 0.50  ; make label bar shorter
  res at pmLabelBarWidthF = 0.075  ; make label bar thinner

; MOVE LABEL BARS AND TITLES BELOW PLOT
  res at lbTitlePosition = "Bottom"       ; put it below the plot

 overall x-axis
; LABELBAR FONT SIZES
  res at lbLabelFontHeightF   = Font
  res at lbTitleFontHeightF   = Font*0.95 ; 0.95 = best

; All data is regional
  res at gsnAddCyclic = False

;MAKE LABELS BLANK
  res at gsnLeftString   = ""               ; add the gsn titles
  res at gsnCenterString = ""
  res at gsnRightString  = ""

; TURN OFF TICKMARKS AND TOP LABELS FOR SPACING (TURN THEM ON INDIVIDUALLY)
  res at tmXTOn                = False            ; turn off top labels
  res at tmYROn                = False            ; turn off right labels
  res at tmXBLabelsOn         = False
  res at tmXBOn               = False
  res at tmYLLabelsOn         = False
  res at tmYLOn               = False

; VERTICAL LABEL BAR ALIGNMENT
;  res at lbLabelBarOn         = False        ; turn off labelbar, but still
customize
  res at lbOrientation        = "Vertical"   ; it so we can recreate it later
  res at lbTitleAngleF        = 90.          ; title angle
  res at lbTitlePosition      = "Right"      ; title location
  res at lbTitleDirection     = "Across"     ; letter angle

  gsn_define_colormap(wks,"WhiteBlueGreenYellowRed")

  Levels_TSA = ispan(260,305,5)
  cmap5 = read_colormap_file("t2m_29lev")
  res_TSA = res_westernusa
  res_TSA at cnLevels = Levels_TSA
  res_TSA at lbLabelStrings = sprinti(" %-5i  ",Levels_TSA)  ; the extra
spaces are a kludge to force the labelbar

The ERA-Interim plot res@ settings are...

;-----------------------------------------
; REGIONAL PLOT
;-----------------------------------------

 res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months} = res_TSA
 res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months}@tmYLOn       = True
 res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months}@tmYLLabelsOn = True
 res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months}@lbLabelAutoStride   = False
; Clean up labelbar labels.
 res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months}@lbMonoFillPattern    = True
       ; fill sold
 res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months}@lbMonoFillColor    = True
     ; fill sold
 res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months}@lbFillBackground  = "white"
 res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months}@lbFillColors         = "white"
 res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months}@lbBoxLineColor = "white"
 res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months}@lbLabelFontColor = "white"
; res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months}@pmLabelBarOrthogonalPosF = 0.00
 res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months}@gsnLeftString = "ERA-Interim"
 res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months}@gsnRightString = "   1985-2015   "
 res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months}@gsnCenterString = ""
 plot_regional_${data}_${var}_${months} =
gsn_csm_contour_map_ce(wks,${data}_${var}_${months},res_regional_${data}_${var}_${months})

AR

--

*Alan Rhoades | **PhD Candidate | **University of California, Davis*
*Atmospheric Science Graduate Group | **Climate Change Water and Society
*alan.m.rhoades at gmail.com
<alan.m.rhoades at gmail.com> | amrhoades at ucdavis.edu <amrhoades at ucdavis.edu>*
*Website <http://alanrhoades.weebly.com/> | Research Gate
<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Alan_Rhoades> | LinkedIn