[ncl-talk] Plotting 2 histograms side by side (not overlapping)

Dagon, Katie kdagon at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 12 09:14:15 MST 2017

Hello all,

Does anyone know how to plot 2 histograms side by side instead of overlapping (as is done by default with the gsnHistogramCompare function)?
I have tried using "res at gsnHistogramSideBySide = True”, however that shifts the distributions slightly to the left, so the values do not line up with the correct labels on the x axis. I have not been able to determine why this happens, though it may be that SideBySide assumes it will have at least 3 datasets, instead of 2.

Ideally, I would like the distributions to sit side by side with some white space on either side of the x axis tick marks.

Thanks in advance for any help. I have attached two plot examples when using histogram compare versus sidebyside. The compare figure shows the data in its correct position with respect to the x axis, and the side-by-side figure is shifted to the left. I am using NCL version 6.2.1.

Katie