[ncl-talk] NCL Version 6.4.0 now available

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 28 23:15:17 MST 2017

We are pleased to announce that NCL Version 6.4.0 is FINALLY available!

For details on this release:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/current_release.shtml

We have also released a new version (1.1) of the NCL User Guide (NUG),
written by Karin-Meier Fleischer and Michael Böttinger of DKRZ:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/NCL_User_Guide/

Here are some of the highlights of this release:

   - Over 100 new functions (crop, heat stress, extreme value statistics,
   bootstrap, evapotranspiration, simple_legend)

   - Many improvements and fixes to HDF5, NetCDF4 and GRIB readers

   - All NUG examples and most of the data files are included with NCL
   V6.4.0

   - Labelbars with triangle ends

   - Block style comments

   - Numerous new graphical resources (including the overhaul of color
   resources to allow RGB/A values)

   - Many new example pages and scripts

   - MediumRes map database made the default for certain map outline and
   fill settings

   - Bug fixes

We have the usual precompiled binaries for MacOS, Linux, and Windows, and
hope to have a conda version soon. Windows users who are running a 64-bit
version of Windows 10 can use the Linux Bash shell to run a 64-bit version
of NCL. Details can be found on the download page
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/>.

Please direct any installation questions or problems to our ncl-install
email list <http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/ncl-install>.

Feedback, bug reports, and questions on NCL in general are welcome on
ncl-talk as usual!