[ncl-talk] Runave using only previous points

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 2 18:58:17 MST 2017

re: runave
The answer is no. It uses centered values. For a 3 pt average"

     x3 = (x(n-1) + x(n) + x(n+1))/3

To me, you want

      x3 = (x(n-2) + x(n-1) +x(n))/3
or
      x3 = (x(n-3) + x(n-2) +x(n-1))/3

which one?

===
I'm assuming 'x' is type float or double.
This is for a 1D time series

undef("jenny")
function jenny(x[*]:numeric, nsum[1]:integer)
local nx, xavg, nStrt, nLast
begin
  nx    = dimsizes(x)
  xavg  = x
  xavg  = x at _FillValue

  nStrt = 0
  nLast = nsum-1
  do n=nLast,nx-1
     xavg(n) = avg(x(nStrt:nLast))
     print("n="+n+"  nStrt="+nStrt+"  nLast="+nLast+"  xavg(n)="+xavg(n))
     nStrt  = nStrt+1
     nLast = nLast+1
  end do

  return(xavg)
end

   N = 100
   x = conform_dims( N, 1.0, -1)   ; all 1s
   x at _FillValue = -999.0

   k = 10

   z = jenny(x,k)
   print(z)     all 1s