[ncl-talk] Runave using only previous points

Andrea Jenney andrea at atmos.colostate.edu
Thu Feb 2 16:11:55 MST 2017

Hi NCL Community,

I am hoping you can provide me with some clarification on the documentation for the ‘runave’ function. I am trying to compute a running mean for a time series but using only points from previous (and not future) time steps to compute the mean for each point. Is this something I can do with the ‘runave’ function? If so, which option do I select?

Example, for clarity:
- x is my array of values
- running average window of size 10
- I would like an array, y, of size(x), at which every point, the value at y(i) is computed using the mean of x(i-9:i), but do not want to utilize cyclic conditions (runave opt -1)

Thank you
---
Andrea Jenney
Graduate Research Assistant | Randall Group
Colorado State University | Department of Atmospheric Science