[ncl-talk] Are recent versions of contributed.ncl backward-compatible?

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 2 13:23:21 MST 2017

Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately you won't be able to point to a 6.3.0 contributed.ncl while
using a 6.1.2 "ncl", because it is very likely that contributed.ncl is
depending on a new built-in function that's only available in the 6.3.0 ncl
executable.

We should try to figure out why you can't open your GRIB file with 6.3.0.
We try *very hard* to be backwards compatible, but sometimes with GRIB
files, there are things we have to change, usually having to do with
variable names. I don't know if that's what's happening in your case.

Are you getting an error? It would be helpful if we could see it.

Also in NCL V6.2.0, which was released between 6.1.2 and 6.3.0, there were
some updates to the GRIB reader. Maybe this update is affecting you? You
can read more about these updates at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/prev_releases.shtml#FileIOImprovements6.2.0

Also, you might want to read the "file I/O improvements" section of our
6.3.0 release notes:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/current_release.shtml#Improvements6.3.0

--Mary