[ncl-talk] The question about the complex demodulation

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 12 16:15:43 MST 2017

If the low-pass filtering (Lanczos) and smoothing (weighted running
average) don't explain the differences... I do not know.
I do not have Bloomfield's 1976 book readily available. That used the
1700-1960 sunspot numbers. As I recall, NCL's plots were 'identical' to
those in the 1976 book.
----
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/spec.shtml

Data Analysis: Spectral analysis, Complex Demodulation

The 1st complex demodulation example uses the 1700-1960 sunspots
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/demod_cmplx_1.ncl
----

The 'demod_cmplx' function can be seen at:

%> less  $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl

Basically, it is a translation (fortran-77  ===> NCL) of Bloomfield's 1976
f77 subroutine.