[ncl-talk] Advice on using cnFillPatterns

Will Hobbs will.hobbs at utas.edu.au
Wed Dec 6 21:55:55 MST 2017

Hi all

I have a script that plots correlations as a colour-filled contour plot (not a map), with an overlay of hatched Fill contours for statistical significance.

In some cases, the ‘significance’ overlay plot causes a segmentation error. I assume this is because there is a very strong gradient somewhere that causes the AreaFill contouring routine to fail, and indeed it works fine if I set cnFillMode to “RasterFill”. Unfortunately Raster fill (or Cell Fill) does not support fill patterns.

Can anyone think of a way around this, or do I need to rethink my plots? I can just use contour lines to denote significant areas, but my preference is for hatching.

Many thanks

Will