[ncl-talk] Saving a script created variable added to the original to be saved

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 18 11:24:20 MDT 2017

Tosa,

If you are talking about a NetCDF file, then you can simply open the file
as you normally do with "addfile", but open it in "w" mode (for "write").
You can then write the variable to the file.

I highly recommend not overwriting the original file!  You want to make
sure you can get it back if you make a mistake in the script.

This particular code snippet will copy the file to a new file, and then
write the new variable to the new file:

The code would look something like this:

;---WRF output file to read from.
              filename  = "wrfout_d01_2003-07-15_00:00:00"

;---Copy this file to a new file so we don't overwrite it
              filename_write = filename + "_NEW"
  system("cp " + filename + " " + filename_write)

  a = addfile(filename_write + ".nc", "w")

  P     = a->P              ; perturbation
              Pb    = a->PB             ; base state pressure
                          P     = P + Pb            ; total pressure
                                      theta = a->T              ;
perturbation potential temperature (theta-t0)               theta = theta +
300.
  tk    = wrf_tk (P, theta)

  print("Writing TK to " + filename_write)
  a->TK = tk                ; Write local variable "tk" to file

You may want to include more metadata to "tk" before writing it to the
file, because it will only have a description and units attributes. Its
metadata should follow the same style as the other variables on the file.

--Mary