[ncl-talk] Determining Font Heights in NCL

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 3 11:08:05 MDT 2017

Hi,

As you may know, there are 72 points per inch, so an 8pt font would be 8/72
= .1111 inches.  However, font size in NCL is measured in NDC space, which
is a unit square area mapped to the longest dimension of your plot. So
you'd need to know the size in inches of your plot to find the right
factor. If for example you are plotting to PDF output on an 8"x11" page,
then an inch in NDC space is 1/11 = .0909 ndc/in.  So I get a font size of
.1111 x .0909 about .01 ndc

That's rather small text!

(I hope there are no embarrassing math errors in there!)

Hope that helps...
Rick