[ncl-talk] wrf_cape_2d errors

Bill Ladwig ladwig at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 12 09:41:06 MDT 2016

Hi Kai,

wrf_cape_2d requires the pressure argument (first argument) to be in units
of Pa and the surface pressure argument (6th argument) to be in units of
hPa, so double check that.  Temperature needs to be in Kelvin.  Height is
in meters.  Water vapor mixing ratio is in units of kg/kg.  The error
message you are getting is indicating that theta-e is being calculated to
856.03 K, which is obviously nonsensical, so one of your input arrays is in
the wrong units, contains missing values, or has a bogus number in it.
This algorithm relies on lookup tables, which is why things can go wrong in
a hurry if something is not right.  If you're still having problems, please
reply with the result for printVarSummary on each of your input variables.

Hope this helps,

Bill