[ncl-talk] Problem with plotting Indian map

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 2 14:46:23 MDT 2016

Soumik,

I don't think we have a way to draw the disputed boundaries. I suggest that
you find a shapefile that has these boundaries, and then you can use
gsn_add_shapefile_polylines to draw them.

See example shapefiles_8.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/shapefiles.shtml#ex8

This shows you how to draw shapefile outlines of India using shapefiles
downloaded from gadm.org. I'm not sure these contain the disputed areas you
want, but you should try googling for that.

I googled "disputed areas in India shapefile" and found the following link:

http://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/50m-cultural-vectors/50m-admin-0-breakaway-disputed-areas/

I didn't follow the link, but hopefully you can download a shapefile, and
use shapefiles_8.ncl to help you draw it.

As for your second question, see the polyg_9.ncl example at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/polyg.shtml#ex9

This shows how to do these divisions via an ASCII file (which may be
similar to yours), or a shapefile.

--Mary