[ncl-talk] tif file

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 2 11:01:11 MDT 2016

Deb,

I didn't see an answer to this one, so I'll take a stab at it.

NCL cannot open these files directly, but you might be able to use the free
GDAL software to work with it.

As an example, you can take a JPEG image, use "gdal_translate" to convert
it to NetCDF, and then plot with NCL.

See example topo_9.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/topo.shtml#ex9

I don't know if gdal_translate can handle the ovr tif files, but its worth
looking into:

http://www.gdal.org/gdal_translate.html

Another possibility: if your files are actually available as shapefiles
(.shp, .shx, .dbf) files, then you can open these directly with NCL using
"addfile". See this page for some examples:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/shapefiles.shtml

--Mary