[ncl-talk] WRF_pcp_1.ncl - contouring precip and terrain over map

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Oct 26 17:04:01 MDT 2016

Hello,

Actually, I'm not sure how the script you sent ever got to the point where
it was doing contouring. There were a number of errors.

I am attaching a script that gets you close. Please look carefully at it.
Also, please use 'printVarSummary' and 'printMinMax' frequently when
developing a script.

--
The attached script fails because the WRF software (written by WRF [
wrfhelp at ucar.edu]) is looking for XLAT_M and XLONG_M and they are not

---
atal:["Execute.c":132]:variable (XLAT_M) is not in file
(./wrf2d_d01_2010-01-10_04:00:00)
fatal:["Execute.c":6316]:variable (XLAT_M) is not in file (in_file)
fatal:["Execute.c":8575]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4530 in
file /Users/shea/devel/ncl/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8575]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4619 in
file /Users/shea/devel/ncl/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8575]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4702 in
file /Users/shea/devel/ncl/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8575]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 261 in
file WRF_precip.ncl_test

===
A person who knows WRF sent me the following:

"They pulled the XLAT, XLONG, etc coordinate variables out of their
wrf2d_d01_2010-01-10_04:00:00 file, so it's not really a WRF file anymore.
They'll need to glue back in the variables from wrfout_conus_constants.nc
before you can count on the stuff in WRFUserARW.ncl to work.  That also
assumes they didn't remove other things that the script is expecting.  I'm
not familiar with wrf-hydro, is that how it normally works to split the
data up?"

===
I did think the XLAT, XLONG on the conus file should be XLAT_M and XLONG_M
giventhe file has XLAT_{U,V} and XLONG_{U,V}. Actually, the XLAT_M, XLONG_M
should be on the wrf2d file (I think)

Good luck