[ncl-talk] Vertical interpolation to a 2d array instead of a constant pressure/height

Bill Ladwig ladwig at ucar.edu
Wed Oct 5 11:01:19 MDT 2016

Hi Michael,

There is nothing in the WRF routines that will do this out of the box, but
you can manually construct this yourself using wrf_interp_1d.  See
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wrf_interp_1d.shtml.
Assuming I'm completely understanding what you are trying to do, you would
have to iterate over the nx x ny horizontal grid, then supply the vertical
column values for each grid point and run the wrf_interp_1d routine to get
the interpolated value.  So, at each horizontal grid point, v_in would be
the vertical column for your variable of interest, z_in would be the
vertical coordinates for the v_in column, and z_out would be the desired
surface pressure value (as an array with one element).

This will probably take a while to run, so plan accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Bill