[ncl-talk] Question concerning listing files

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 21 14:31:10 MST 2016

I have no idea the name structure of your files. I was using
'nam_xxx_20130208_yyyy_zzz.grb' as a 'strawman' name.
Substitute some name that is relavent for your files.

This is missing a "
files = systemfunc("ls nam_xxx_"+Date+"*grb)
should have been
files = systemfunc("ls nam_xxx_"+Date+"*grb")

====

You can play interactively. For convenience, go to  "/data1/wrf/NAM/"

%> cd /data1/wrf/NAM

%> ncl <return>

; enter the following

Date = "20130208"       ; this could be integer also!

sys_cmd = "ls nam_xxx_"+Date+"*grb"       ; use *your* file name structure
print(sys_cmd)                                             ; "ls
nam_xxx_20130208*grb"
files = systemfunc( sys_cmd )                     ; pass to *nix system
print (files)

sys_cmd = "ls nam*"+Date+"*grb"
print(sys_cmd)                                            ; "ls
nam_xxx_20130208_yyyy_zzz*grb:
files = systemfunc( sys_cmd )                     ; pass to *nix system

exit
=================

ncl <return>

 DATADir = "/data1/wrf/NAM/"

sys_cmd = "ls "+DATADir+"nam*"+Date+"*grb"
print(sys_cmd)                                            ; "cd
/data1/wrf/NAM/ ; ls nam*20130208*grb"
FILES     = systemfunc(sys_cmd)               ; file names only
print(FILES)

sys_cmd = "ls "+DATADir+"nam*"+Date+"*grb"
print(sys_cmd)                                           ; "ls
/data1/wrf/NAM/nam*20130208*grb"