[ncl-talk] Attach shapefile polylines to contour

Amadou Coulibaly mpapin24 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 11:06:10 MDT 2016

Dear NCL users,

I want to attach shapefile polylines to my wrf_contour plot, but I am
facing an issue. After downloading the country data from Global
Administrative Area, I wrote the command lines below:
;---Start the graphics
       wks = gsn_open_wks("eps","wrf_latlonoverlay_16_ERA")

;---Set some basic plot options
      opts                     = True
      opts at MainTitle                    = "REAL-TIME WRF"
      opts at gsnDraw                       = False
        opts at gsnFrame                      = False
      ;opts at gsnAddCyclic             = False

      pltres                 = True
      mpres                  = True
      mpres at mpGeophysicalLineColor      = "Black"
      mpres at mpNationalLineColor         = "Black"
      mpres at mpUSStateLineColor          = "Black"
      mpres at mpGridLineColor             = "Black"
      mpres at mpLimbLineColor             = "Black"
      mpres at mpPerimLineColor            = "Black"
      mpres at mpGeophysicalLineThicknessF = 2.0
      mpres at mpGridLineThicknessF        = 2.0
      mpres at mpLimbLineThicknessF        = 2.0
      mpres at mpNationalLineThicknessF    = 2.0
      mpres at mpUSStateLineThicknessF     = 2.0

      opts at TimeLabel = times   ; Set valid time to use on plots

      pressure = pressure_levels(0)

      ; Add some level info to the plot
          opts at PlotLevelID = pressure + " hPa"
;----------------------------------------------------------------------
; Plot full domain first.
;----------------------------------------------------------------------
      opts at cnFillOn = True

      contour = wrf_contour(f,wks,Rot_avg(0,:,:),opts)

  x = (/3., 4., 5., 6., 7./)
  y = (/3., 4., 5., 6., 7./)

;-- polymarker resources
  pmres                        =  True
  pmres at gsMarkerColor          = "red"       ;-- marker color
  pmres at gsMarkerSizeF          =  0.03        ;-- set size of marker
  pmres at gsLineThicknessF       =  13.          ;-- marker line thickness

;-- draw all 16 markers on map using unique identifier name
;-- and additional map attribute settings
  x = 3.                                 ;-- x-position of first marker
  y = 3.                                 ;-- y-position of first marker
  do i = 5,7,2                                     ;-- 16 different marker
     pmres at gsMarkerIndex = i+1
     str = unique_string("poly")            ;-- result is poly0-poly15
     contour@$str$ = gsn_add_polymarker(wks, contour, x+(i*11.3),
y+(i*8.5), pmres)

                                            ;-- add marker to map
  end do

      plot = wrf_map_overlays(f,wks,(/contour/),pltres,mpres)

;---Attach shapefile polylines to map
  dir1       = "CIV_adm/"
  dir2       = "GHA_adm/"
  dir3       = "TGO_adm/"
  dir4       = "BEN_adm/"
  dir5       = "NGA_adm/"

  filename1  = "CIV_adm0.shp"
  filename2  = "GHA_adm0.shp"
  filename3  = "TGO_adm0.shp"
  filename4  = "BEN_adm0.shp"
  filename5  = "NGA_adm0.shp"

  lnres                  = True
  lnres at gsLineThicknessF = 1.0

  poly1 = gsn_add_shapefile_polylines(wks,plot,dir1+filename1,lnres)
  poly2 = gsn_add_shapefile_polylines(wks,plot,dir2+filename2,lnres)
  poly3 = gsn_add_shapefile_polylines(wks,plot,dir3+filename3,lnres)
  poly4 = gsn_add_shapefile_polylines(wks,plot,dir4+filename4,lnres)
  poly5 = gsn_add_shapefile_polylines(wks,plot,dir5+filename5,lnres)

  draw(plot)
  frame(wks)
end

But instead of overlaying country map with contour, I am getting two
separate plots one with contour and another one with country maps, as
showing attached plot.

What,s wrong with my script? And how to put vertically the labelbar?

Best regards

--
* COULIBALY   AMADOU   *
PhD  Student  on  West  African  Climate  System (WACS)

*Visiting Student - *
*University of Cologne, Germany**Institute of Geophysics and Meteorology*
Pohligstr. 3 / Office 3.102
D-50969 Köln

*Project*: WASCAL (West African Science Service Centre on Climate Change
and Adapted Land Use)
Phone:(+234) 812 965 3659 /(+223) 90 08 26 71 /(+226) 64 57 37 27 /+49
15218352574

E-mail: mpapin24 at gmail.com / coulibalya68 at yahoo.com

"*The time is always right to do right": Nelson Mandela*

*"Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow.  The shadow is
what we think of it; the tree is the real thing" : Abraham Lincoln*

*"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt*