[ncl-talk] nighttime zero cape from skewT_PlotData ?

Kyle Griffin ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu
Wed May 11 23:27:37 MDT 2016

Your skew-t, while helpful, remains of limited use without information as
to where it is located on your map. Can you give us more info, and are you
sure you are using data for the correct location?

Have you considered these values may be different types of CAPE? (e.g.
SBCAPE, MLCAPE, MUCAPE?)

>From your sounding, there is zero surface-based CAPE. If you use the most
unstable parcel (i.e. the one with highest CAPE), you may be able to get a
small positive value of CAPE by lifting the parcel from the nose of the
thermal inversion near the 950 hPa level.

A quick run through the data values output across the top of the sounding
appear to agree nearly perfectly with your sounding data (LCL pressure, LCL
temperature, etc.)

I'm not familiar with the particular CAPE calculation functions, but I
believe the documentation or the code itself will likely help you make this
determination.

Kyle