[ncl-talk] masking_query

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 28 12:02:08 MDT 2016

Kunal,

I believe you *are* getting all the data points inside the region of
interest.  What you are seeing with the "blockiness" is that NCL is not
going to extrapolate any contour values beyond these grid points. It needs
four points on a rectangle in order to create a smooth filled area.

If you set:

  res at cnRasterSmoothingOn = False

which is the default, then you will likely see more contours show up,
because now you are just coloring cell values.
I sent you a script a few weeks ago that showed you how to turn on your
grid points, so you can see exactly which grid points from your dataset are
being kept, and which ones are being thrown away.

I've attached an image from this script so you can see the original data
(top plot), and the data masked by regions "Uttar Pradesh","Himachal
Pradesh","Uttaranchal","Punjab","Haryana","Nepal"

The red points in the bottom plot show which points were set to missing.
As you can see, a few of the black points that are inside the region have
no contours, but that's just because NCL can't generate contours from
sparse points.

--Mary