[ncl-talk] Crash with eofunc_varimax_Wrap function

Allison Serakos sera0021 at umn.edu
Mon Jun 27 12:49:02 MDT 2016

Hello,

I am using the eofunc_varimax_Wrap function to analyze global rotated EOFs
produced from the eofunc_Wrap function. However, when I run my script, it
hangs when it reaches the eofunc_varimax_Wrap function. The script does not
finish and I get no error message.

The dataset that I am using is the HadISST 1.1 monthly average sea surface
temperature dataset. It is a 3-dimensional (time, latitude, longitude)
global 1° x 1° grid dataset with 1755 time values, 180 latitude, and 360
longitude. I produce annually averaged values and spatially weighted it
prior to the EOF analysis.

I have been using a Mac machine with NCL version 6.3.0 and a Linux machine
with NCL version 6.2.1 and the program hangs when conducting the rotation.

I tried running the script with global data for different time periods (all
between 113 and 102 years of global data) on both the Mac and Linux
machines and found that the function works only for some time periods and
crashes with others. These periods differ between the two Mac and Linux
machines that I used. I also tried reshaping the data from a 3D matrix to a
2D matrix using the reshape function and combining the spatial components.
In this situation, the rotation output was still the same as above for the
respective time periods and machines. Additionally, I tried reducing the
spatial domain and found that when I reduce the latitude range (anything
smaller than 69S-90N) for any time period the script runs on both machines
and the function does not crash.

I used ‘ncl –x’ to see if there is an error in my script, but the script
only crashes before the eofunc_varimax_Warp function with no messages. When
I run the script, NCL uses about 592.5MB of the 12GB of memory on the Mac
machine, so I do not believe this an issue of lack of memory space.

I am wondering if there is a known problem with the eofunc_varimax_Wrap
function? I am also wondering if you have any thoughts as to why the
function may be crashing under certain situations and not others?

Here is a copy of my EOF and Varimax Rotation script:

;----------------------------------------------------------------

;***** EOF *****

neval = 6

optEOF = True