[ncl-talk] Slow draw() debugging/profiling

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Jun 27 10:39:49 MDT 2016

Hi Matthew,

There are a number of issues that can help with speeding up your script. We
do have a profiling tool, but it only profiles the NCL code itself. I
believe it would show you what you already know, and that is the "draw"
command is taking a long time.

You didn't say what kind of plots you are creating, but if you are creating
filled contour plots, then usually the single best thing you can do to
speed things up is to set the resource:

res at cnFillMode = "RasterFill"

which will cause NCL to use raster contouring instead of smooth contouring
which can be drastically slower for larger grids.

If this doesn't help, then please post back to ncl-talk with more
information about what kind of plot you are creating, how big your data
array(s) are, and what graphical resources you are setting.

--Mary