[ncl-talk] Bug :: Seg Fault when accidentally trying to overwrite a list pointer

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Fri Jun 17 11:57:10 MDT 2016

So this was a mistake on my part, but it resulted in a seg fault rather than the usual type mismatch warning.

;; me being an idiot, but seg faults are a tough justice

my_list = NewList("lifo")
my_list = new(10, float)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

;;;typical and more preferable behaviour

my_list = new(10, integer)
my_list = new(10, float)
fatal:["NclVar.c":1390]:Assignment type mismatch, right hand side can't be coerced to type of left hand side
fatal:["Execute.c":8573]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 1

my_list = new(10, float)
my_list = NewList("lifo")
fatal:["NclVar.c":1390]:Assignment type mismatch, right hand side can't be coerced to type of left hand side
fatal:["Execute.c":8573]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 1

Thanks,

Alan.

Alan Brammer,
Post-Doc Researcher

Department of Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences,
University at Albany, State University of New York, Albany, NY, 12222
abrammer at albany.edu