[ncl-talk] changing the dimension

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 17 11:34:56 MDT 2016

The contour plot routines expect (y_axis,x_axis) order

  print(RF_fnl&nlev)    ; look ... does this have a long_name or units
attribute?

  work = RF_fnl(nlev|:,nscan|:,npix|:)  ; convenience for illustration
  printVarSummary(work)                    ;    [nlev | 80] x   [nscan |
9247] x [npix | 49]

  np       = ??   ; your choice
  work2 = work(:,:,np)
  printVarSummary(work2)                   ;  [nlev | 80] x   [nscan |
9247]

  res at tmYLFormat = "f"                       ; No unnecessary zeroes
  res at tiYAxisString = "level (km)"        ; if not specified, long_name
will be used
  plot = gsn_csm_contour(wks,work2, res)

You will still get index values along the x-axis (longitude axis)

---
You can plot the lat/lon at a specified 'npix' index usinig lat2d/lon2d

See: http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/narr.shtml
Example 6

It is not for satellite data but the principle is the same.

===
This is *not* a 'pure' zonal plot. Fot that you must interpolate to a user
specified grid.
Use ESMF regridding.

Good luck