[ncl-talk] Longitude Flip in ocean data

Arun Kumar Dwivedi dwivedi.arunkumar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 00:40:53 MST 2016

Dear all,
Thank q for the response
In continuation to my above query the description is given below

Our data is rectilinear data ( data is in rectangular matrix with
un-uniform spacing). '

Our basic data structure is :

Variable: sst
Type: float
Total Size: 4499840 bytes
            1124960 values
Number of Dimensions: 4
Dimensions and sizes:    [T1 | 20] x [ZT_K1_1 | 1] x [YT_J | 178] x [XT_I |
316]
Coordinates:
            T1: [1005606..1005720]
            ZT_K1_1: [ 2.5.. 2.5]
            YT_J: [ -79..  79]
            XT_I: [   1.. 359]
Number Of Attributes: 4
  missing_value :    -1e+34
  _FillValue :    -1e+34
  long_name :    SST
  units :    C

****************************
Our actual problem is we need to plot longitude in the selected range for
eg -90W to 120E then it doesnt accept the -90W value since the longitude
array is from 0 to 360 , the plot comes from 0 to 120E only. (-ve values
not accepted.) . To solve this we used lonflip function so that our
longitude array changes from -180 to 180. but since it is un-uniform data ,
***********************************
After LonFlip , it is

Variable: sstnew
Type: float
Total Size: 4499840 bytes
            1124960 values
Number of Dimensions: 4
Dimensions and sizes:    [T1 | 20] x [ZT_K1_1 | 1] x [YT_J | 178] x [XT_I |
316]
Coordinates:
            T1: [1005606..1005720]
            ZT_K1_1: [ 2.5.. 2.5]
            YT_J: [ -79..  79]
            XT_I: [-257.75..101.75]
Number Of Attributes: 5
  missing_value :    -1e+34
  _FillValue :    -1e+34
  long_name :    SST
  units :    C
  lonFlip :    longitude coordinate variable has been reordered via lonFlip

The longitude is originally from 0 to 360 and after LonFlip it is
-257.75..101.75... But when we are plotting in the longitude range (-90,
120) it is coming only in the longitude range (-90, 101)

So what would be the solution for our problem

Thanks & Regards
Arun Kumar Dwivedi,
Project Engineer - II
Computational Earth Science Group