[ncl-talk] How to plot TRMM orbital data

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 17 08:51:02 MST 2016

Hi Laura,

There are too many TRMM products to have examples for all of them. Under
the HDF suite of examples, see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/HDF.shtml
hdf4sds_6.ncl <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/hdf4sds_6.ncl>

This is for a specific TRMM 2A12 file.

I modified it slightly (see attached).

The script exits after the 'global' plot. The reason (as you can see after
looking at the 1st plot) is that the INDIA region used for the 2A12 file is
not appropriate for the 2B31 file. I just do not have the time to make the
minor changes to select a specific region.

An aside: the function  'stat_dispersion'

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/stat_dispersion.shtml

was originally developed for looking at satellite swath data. Depending on
the swath and quality level, there can be many outliers and this helps make
an assessment. In the case of the 2B31 file, there are *many* 0s. A 'trick'
is to set the 0s to _FillValue and then see the distribution of non-zerro
values. See code.

HTH