[ncl-talk] How to plot TRMM orbital data

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 17 08:50:32 MST 2016

Hi Laura,

Is there something unique about the TRMM high-res orbital data that would
prevent you from using the standard TRMM examples?

I'm not familiar with TRMM data, but I see from the "hdf4sds_1.ncl" example:

       http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/HDF.shtml

that there were a few of things that had to be done before the data could
be plotted:

   - The array was reordered to be scan x latitude x longitude, because it
   originally comes in as scan x longitude x latitude:

   prc    = work(scan|:,latitude|:,longitude|:)

   - Some metadata was attached (to make better titles on the plots)

   - Lat/lon arrays were created from scratch and attached to "prc".

   I'm not sure why this was done, because I would think the lat/lon
arrays would be provided on the file, but the script keeps referring
to a README section that I haven't looked at)

You then simply call gsn_csm_contour_map to plot "prc" over a map.
Note that "res at cnFillMode" is being set to "RasterFill". This is
*very* important for large datasets.  The default "AreaFill"
(smoothed) contouring in NCL is too slow for large data.

If you still have problems, then can you point us to a data file that
we can download? Also, it would help to know what kind of plot you
need to create.

--Mary