[ncl-talk] Help required with attached script

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sun Dec 11 20:55:31 MST 2016

Muhammad,

The best way to do masking of your data is to use a shapefile.  There are
tons of shapefiles you can download for free from the web, and they contain
geographical areas that are useful for masking.

We have an example of masking WRF data based on a USA shapefile, and a list
of state names you want to mask. See shapefile_21.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/shapefiles.shtml

In your case, depending on your area of interest, you will likely want to
download one or more shapefiles from gadm.org/country, and then use these
to mask your data.

See the shapefiles examples page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/shapefiles.shtml

and in particular, search on "shapefile_mask_data" which is the function
you'll need to use. There are many examples that use this function.

--Mary