[ncl-talk] speidx

Jared Lee jaredlee at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 8 09:29:47 MST 2016

Hi Seshagirirao,

The NCL function 'speidx' was originally pegged for release with NCL
v6.4.0, but to my knowledge it has been pulled from that release. There are
known bugs with that function, but the developer of the underlying C code
for that function has stopped supporting it, and moved on to the R package
'SPEI':

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/SPEI/index.html

For a project this summer I had also tried to use the beta version of NCL's
speidx, but had to abandon it for the R version because of the bugs.

I am not sure if an implementation of PDSI is in the works for NCL or not.
I'll leave it to the NCL development team to respond to that part.

Jared

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 2:06 AM, Seshagirirao Kolusu <seshukolusu at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear All,
> I would like to use SPEIDX function . I have been using 6.3.0 (latest)
> version but this function only available at 6.3.1. I wonder whether the
> 6.3.1 beta  version is ready to use for users. Any time line for next ncl
> version release would be grateful to know ?
>
> I am also looking for palmer-drought-severity-index (PDSI) function in
> ncl. I did check the function list but this is not available yet.
>
> https://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/climate-data/palmer-
> drought-severity-index-pdsi
>
> If anyone had these functions in  NCL please share me.
>
> Regards,
> Dr.rer.nat. K.Seshagirirao
> PDRA
> Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science (ICAS)
> <http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/research/icas/>,
> School of Earth and Environment (SEE) <http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/>,
> University of Leeds <http://www.leeds.ac.uk/>,
> Leeds,