[ncl-talk] weird error

Karin Meier-Fleischer meier-fleischer at dkrz.de
Thu Dec 1 03:20:47 MST 2016

Hi Lara,

I can create the Temp variable and its named dimensions as you described
without problems.
I attached my test script which should be the same as yours. The result is

[~/NCL/tests] > ncl define_named_dimensions.ncl
  Copyright (C) 1995-2015 - All Rights Reserved
  NCAR Command Language Version 6.3.0
  The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
  See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.

Variable: Temp
Type: float
Total Size: 1252800 bytes
             313200 values
Number of Dimensions: 3
Dimensions and sizes:    [time | 29] x [lat | 180] x [lon | 60]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 1
   _FillValue :    9.96921e+36

Try to run the attached script maybe there is an 'unvisible' typo like a
Control character in your script.

Bye,
Karin

Am 01.12.16 um 11:00 schrieb Lara Gunn:
> Hi
>
> I am having an odd error in ncl so thought I'd see if anyone knows
> what I've done wrong. I am simply writing an array and trying to name
> the dimensions but for some reason ncl doesn't want me to name the
> time dimension.
>
> Here is a snapshot of the code.
>
> Inline image 1
>
> when I run this I get this error
>
> warning:VarVarWrite: lhs has dimension name and rhs doesn't, deleting
> name of lhs dimension number(0), use "(/../)" if this is not desired
> outcome. I did this and still get the same issue so just a bbit
> confused as to why it will name the other two dimensions but not the
> first one.
>
> Inline image 3
>
> Thanks in advance

Dipl. Geophys. Karin Meier-Fleischer
Visualization, NCL
Application Support

Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum GmbH (DKRZ)
Bundesstrasse 45a - D20146 Hamburg - Germany

Phone:    +49 (0)40 460094 126
Fax:      +49 (0)40 460094 270
E-Mail:   meier-fleischer at dkrz.de

Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Thomas Ludwig
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 39784