[ncl-talk] How to read / get access to the eofunc source code?

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 28 14:14:08 MDT 2016

[1] Generally, anomalies are input to the EOF function: eofunc
     Otherwise the EOF's will contain the information from the annual
cycle.

[2]
Covariance is a measure of *magnitude* of variability between two
variables. Most commonly, the same variable (say temperature) is observed
at stations or grid points. Then the two variables are temperatures at
different locations.

[3] Correlation is a measure of the variability but it has been *scaled* by
each variable's local  standard deviation.

[4] EOFs are typically calculated using covariance. The correlation matrix
is used *patterns* are important.

[5] NCL uses a modified version of the SCRIPPS code at:
http://meteora.ucsd.edu/~pierce/eof/eofs.html

Good luck