[ncl-talk] meteosat grib2 (grb) files

Athanasios Karagiannidis thankar at live.com
Mon Apr 25 03:23:07 MDT 2016

Hello to all.

I'm trying to plot the "fire detection indicator" parameter that is included in meteosat grib2 file like the one I attach.

When I load and check the file I get the following:

ncl 0> a = addfile("201604250700-fir.grb","r")
warning:NCL does not yet fully support GRIB2 space view perspective grid (template 90), no coordinate variables will be supplied for this grid
ncl 1> print (a)

Variable: a
Type: file
filename:    201604250700-fir
path:    201604250700-fir.grb
   file global attributes:
   dimensions:
      ygrid_0 = 3712
      xgrid_0 = 3712
   variables:
      float FIREDI_P30_GSV0 ( ygrid_0, xgrid_0 )
         center :    EUMETSAT Operation Centre
         production_status :    Operational products
         long_name :    Fire detection indicator
         units :    Code Table 4.223
         _FillValue :    1e+20
         grid_type :    Space view perspective or orthographic
         parameter_discipline_and_category :    Space products, Image format pro
ducts
         parameter_template_discipline_category_number :    ( 30, 3, 0, 9 )
         initial_time :    04/25/2016 (07:00)

I saw that this is not a new problem. However, I could not find a solution.
Could you help me?

Kind regards

Athanasios F. Karagiannidis
Physicist, PhD Meteorology and Climatology
E-mail: thankar at live.com