[ncl-talk] Computing max of monthly NO2 data each year

Jack Ogaja jack.ogaja at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 09:29:28 MDT 2015

“The results I’ve obtained aren’t what I expected.”
Well, even Aristotle would struggle to figure out what you expected if you didn't tell him…

Your script still got visible mistakes though. For example the loop is quite extravagant:
…
  k = ispan(0,11,1)
  do n=0,7
   do i = 0,275,12
    do j=0,11
      EUmax(n,:) = max(EU_plot(n,i+k(j))) <== “j” will always be the same type as, and equal to “k(j)”?
    end do
   end do
  end do
…
and since the left side of your equation has a free dimension, the variable will always be overwritten up to the end of the loop.

You can clean the loop and do something like,
  do n=0,7
     yr=0
     k =0
     do i = 11,275,12
        EUmax(n,k) = max(EU_plot(n,yr:i))
        k=k+1
        yr=i
     end do
  end do

I was also wondering whether from your file “EU(120:395,0)” will give you information from 2000 to 2012(12 years)? Probably that is the unexpected result you mentioned. Who knows?

I hope that helps.

Jack