[ncl-talk] Reading ECMWF THREDDS data using OPENDAP

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Tue Sep 15 18:32:44 MDT 2015

Hi David,
I have looked into this issue a little bit. I realize now that Mary is
right. Thredds can serve data through several protocols. The URL you
specified

http://rda.ucar.edu/thredds/fileServer/aggregations/e/ds627.0/15/ERA_Interim_atmospheric_model_forecast_for_surface-198808/files/ei.oper.fc.sfc.regn128sc.198808010

does not use OPeNDAP to serve the file. This URL points to GRIB data
that is served using http. It cannot be subset the way it could be if
it OPeNDAP was serving it.

NCL cannot read data served using http directly even if you get around
the username/password issue. OPeNDAP does have a way to encode
username/password into the URL, although it is not very secure. And it
may be problematic with RDA user names that are actually email
addresses because the protocol uses the '@' symbol and would probably
be confused by its occurrence in the username.  But that is not
relevant here because NCL could not read data from this URL even if it
were not restricted.

I have no idea what could be causing the sftp problem, but it does not
sound like an NCL issue.
 -dave